I am going to be getting my haircut and I'm sort of in this transition phase. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bangs.
But first I would like to give you a recent history of my hair:
It's been bone straight hair since I was a kid. Bone straight as in get out of the shower and not bother combing it and it would still dry straight and tangle free. My hair laughs at styling products and curling irons. I could do the foam rollers and have curls for half the day and completely forget about volume.
That is until I had kids. My hair got a little weird in the back after BG but it was hard to tell if my hair was growing wavy or I had permanent ponytail hair. Then LG came along and that weird wavy area got wavier and very difficult to manage. I didn't know what to do with it.
My hair has been all over the map the last few years trying to find a new do. It's gone from so long that I donated 16" and still had shoulder length hair to the short Katie Holmes hairdo and then growing that out. I've had long and straight to bobbed and bangs. I enjoy having bangs but I hate that they can have mind of their own, which is why I don't allow my daughters to have bangs.
December 2009
Then I got a new hairdresser. She complimented how healthy my hair is and then started talking about the "crazy movement" that I had on the back of my head making it difficult for her to do the beloved post haircut style. I told her I didn't like it and she recommended a Brazilian Blowout.If I was going to pay good money to do something with my hair it wasn't going to be to straighten it. I decided to go with a body perm instead. This is also when I started to grow out my bangs to go with my new waves. A very important fact since I'm having issues with my bangs.
March 2011
After getting the body perm I got a lot of compliments on my hair. I don't wear it fresh out of the shower and dried. It's not that type of perm. It gives my hair some volume and a little bit of a wave. More it was just making the crown and front of my hair match the crazy movement going on in the back. Though I could wear it unstyled and it looks good (see above picture).Most days I put product on right out of the shower then allow it to air dry. I follow up by adding curls with a hot iron. And here's the big kicker, I get these perfect Beach Curls stay all day long. I am really loving this perm.
July 2011
On a bad hair day, crazy curly hair looks better than drab straight hair. I can straighten it if I feel like doing something a little different just by blow drying it. The back still never gets truly straight even if I use a flat iron though I may need a better flat iron. This morning - blown straight
I guess I need to get to where I am asking your advice. My bang have grown to a transition point that I am not enjoying and I don't want to keep growing them. I have been pinning them back for the most part but they have been too long to do that for about a month. I can wear them down but they are a big clump of grown out bangs and I don't care for that look either. They also tend to get tucked behind my ear because they are long enough that they stay and I hate that look. Umm, NO.
As pleasant as the shape of my face is I don't like my hair laying flat against my forehead. Hence why I cut bangs in the first place.So what do I do:
- Cut bangs again?
- Do lots of face shaping with shorter layers?
- Something else that you've done with your hair and enjoyed?
Thanks for helping a girl out. Because at my age, this (points to self) isn't getting any better. Pores don't get smaller, lines start showing, the boobs are gone and I don't want to think about what happens after 40. But I have good hair so I have got to work it while I've still got it.
I guess I should count my blessings, I could of been born with Gary Busey's hair.

3 comments:
I'm not much help because I'm in the same conundrum. I do like your hair in the first photo best if that helps.
Omigod, I love your perm! I should look into doing that for my hair, because it's mostly straight too but I can't just let it air dry because it lacks volume. Have you found a good stylist in San Diego that you can recommend? I feel like I've been everywhere and can't find one I like.
As for the bangs...I'm kind of in the same boat, too. I would suggest dusting off the ends so that they are shorter, but still long enough to do the side-swept look. I like the length in your first photo. *sigh* But I totally understand how bangs can take on a life of their own. Mine tend to look like wings unless I tame them into submission with my flat iron.
Just tuck it into your armpits and be done with it. At least it will stay out of your eyes.
Seriously, when I think of you, I think of long hair with no bangs. I like the perm a lot because it gives you the volume, but you can straight iron it for dress up if you want to. You could get that one bit chemically straightened, but I think long with a perm is the way to go.
As far as the bangs go, I would cut layers for you to blend them with the rest of your hair, then if you like how they add volume, keep them, if not, trim the layers away as the body of your hair grows out. I have a hard time imagining you with heavy layering. That's more a me thing.
Yeah, long, wavy, no bangs. That would be really pretty. I mean, if you're determined not to tuck it into your pits.
Mmmwah!
Post a Comment