The first thing that I noticed was the way the groups described themselves. Basically advertising the type of women they want to have join.
Blue Group wants quote "NEW" unquote moms. I put it that way because it's in all caps and quotations marks on the site. Later in all caps it ask that you only join if your first baby was born in 2009. I'm not saying this is wrong, it's what they are looking for and that's fine. The group is about getting used to your new role as a mom, whether you are at home or not and the babies making friends in the same age group.
Red Group describes themselves more casually and with three more paragraphs. It's a bigger span, 2009 and 2010 babies, and is more mom focused. Making friends that are also pregnant or have babies, sharing experiences, etc. Once the kids are here, they can make friends also. It asks that you maintain a certain participation level, but they are also calling out for first time moms.
Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this. In fact, I can understand why. Mostly that it avoids having older children running around the newborns and cuts back on the chaos that can occur with bigger kids. Also, I think that it is assumed that moms with bigger kids already have friends that they can relate to on a mommy level.
Since I am new to town, I have no friends. So, I sent an email to both groups asking if it was okay if I already had an older kid. She's in school, so I won't bring her to the baby play groups, my baby wants friends too, I'm still going through the same emotional stuff, blah blah blah. Red Group said it fine that I'm not a "new" mom and they have other not-new moms.
Blue Group -- no reply. So, I hunted down the organizer, ummm I mean, I went to a playdate that the organizer was also attending. It was a walk by the beach and very nice, but I asked up front about the new mom policy. She said that they are strict about being new moms, but since the group is so small, that as long as I am active (1-2 activities a month) that they won't kick me out. Oh, and they have kicked out a bunch or inactive moms already.
Once again, nothing wrong with that. I got my answer. I'm still in Blue Group and have even hosted an event. I guess I'm active, so I get to stay.
There is going to be a lot of blog worthy stuff that comes out of this. And you know, in the end, I think that Chicklet liked the Lapsit Storytime at the library the best.
Kidlets
Here is something that is a little fun. I recreated a photo for comparison.
Chicklet @ 1 day
The bumble bees on the blanket are so big compared to now. Yesterday, Chicklet @ almost 6 mths
She's really growing.


6 comments:
Amazing how mom's groups can get, isn't it?
The comparison of photos was wonderful: What a change! and How beautiful and precious she is.
Wow, those groups sound strict as all get out! LOL. All I ever did was just go to the park and whoever was there to talk to, I talked to.
It does look like the bees got smaller; time really flies.
People can be so odd.
She is just gorgeous and I know somewhat how you feel I dont fit in any catagory I'm 42 yrs old have a grandson and 2 adult children then my to youngest girls are 5 & 3 years old so I haven't made any friends with other mommies wish there was a starting over with little ones older mommy group;)Hugs Darcy
Sounds like you're doing it right. It's hard to imagine you getting kicked out of a group.
PS that is one pretty baby.
Wow, she has changed SO much!! I'm going to do this on my blog right now. You don't mind if I'm a biter, do you? :)
Post a Comment