Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Creepy Crawly Scary Thing

It turns out that although I think that I am doing well with my arachnophobia, I'm really not. I mean, if I walk in on a spider just chillin' there, I'm okay. I've even been known to let them free in the yard if I know it's not poisonous.

I've actually have had interesting experiences with spiders. Like the Fourth of July when we accidentally caught a tarantula on fire. Very funny story, we were out on the West Texas Airport runaway shooting off fire works on the runway. Apparently, one of the spinning bumble bees that fly all over the place 2 inches off the ground hit a tarantula. It had somehow gotten caught on one of it's legs. I don't remember too much about it since I was a kid, but I did learn that tarantulas can scream. I also remember spending my summer out their with my Mom's friends alone. The wife was pregnant and the husband traveled. I stayed with her in case of an emergency. All I ever did was crawl under their mobile home and fetch their kittens. I learned real fast the difference between fuzzy cats and big hairy spiders. Tarantulas don't really scare me anymore.

But today, that was not the situation.

I was scrubbing away at the sink at work. Happy as a clam and so proud of myself for getting this little task off my to do list. I had been cleaning away for some 10 minutes and my focus was primarily on my task. When out of nowhere some big scary crawly thing fell right in front of me landing just in front of my hands. It was about quarter size, including legs, tan with a red butt and very spider looking.

I yelped. It wasn't really a scream, more like that sound a dog makes when you step in it. I was kinda proud of myself for not running down the hall screaming like a mad man. Apparently, I was a lot louder than I thought. I scared some of the patients. I was then reminded that when working in a dental office; screams, yelps and other loud noises are bad things to do. I scared the guy in the waiting room.

I am now completely paranoid of the lab and had to have the doctor kill it. He thinks that it was a beetle. I have my doubts. I went back and counted legs, I'm pretty sure there were eight. I've had the heebie jeebies since. I've come to the conclusion that it must of crawled out of the air vent on the ceiling, over my head and just fell before me. Only after it was dead did I remember that I have my camera with me. I would of loved to had your thoughts on what it actually was.

No comments: