Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Don't Mix Hawaii and Sock Knitting...

---Warning: Extemely Picture Heavy Post of Vacation Shots---

...the result is a very bored ball of yarn. At least my TuFutsies had a nice view from the room. The book was bragging cause it got more action. Only because it is beach portable and has a due date from the library. It's an interesting story considering that the character set up takes a long time being that there are so many characters. But hey, who doesn't love a WWII love story that crosses enemy lines. Plus, it's set in Wales and stories are hardly ever set there. So, I'm not only learning Hawaiian, but Welsh, too!

The ball of yarn and the book spent most of the time laying out on the lanai. That means balcony. I think that the funniest thing on this trip is my trying to pronounce everything. Then I go out and buy a book for my daughter with every animal in the sea using their Hawaiian names. That is real comedy. I'll just read it to her when there is no one else in the room. As for knitting on the trip, I did manage to get quite a few inches done on my calf-high Spiral Socks from IK Summer 2007 at LAX and the five hours it takes to get to Honolulu. I really hate it when I am the only knitter in the airport though. Makes me feel so...alone.

Anyways. The nice thing about going to Hawaii is that you can start your week as a white chick. As in, not only am I caucasian... I am WHITE.... ...and I get to leave super tan!!! Like how I was as a kid that lived in my swimming pool on the Texas/Mexico border and the only why you could tell I was caucasion was that I have really blue eyes. My sister hated me...she's a red head. Other nice things about Hawaii, you can wear a swim suit everywhere. Okay, the beautiful views, super blue ocean, and total lack of air pollution are nice, too. Not to mention the food and these... They should call it Mai Tai Land. And it should be illegal to not drink at least one a day while on vacation. I did find a good use for mai tais on the vacation. To go snorkeling. I know, don't drink and snorkel, but I officially don't like snorkeling. The first place we went was murky and there was little clearance between the coral and the water level. I finally had a panic attack and had to get out of the water. I did however give it a second chance. We found a bay with lots of sand and more important elbow room around the coral. I however found something even more fun. Jumping off rocks into the ocean. Right, float in the water looking at fish or jump 2 1/2 stories off a rock...I'll take the rock.There was a trip to Kualoa Ranch to check out the LOST film sites. I can't help travel so far and not hope to get a glance of Matthew Fox or Josh Halloway. Alas, all I got was a view of Hurley's Golf Course. We did check out a ton of other sites. One of the most memorable and moving was the USS Arizona. I really don't know what to say outside of that. Definitely humbling, doesn't help with the WWII book I'm reading.The rest of these are a few of my favorite shots that I took early in the morning. One of the beautiful tropical flowers outside our condo. Also, a view of the sunrise from Turtle Bay.And finally our last sunset in Hawaii. Skye took this one. All in all, it was a great trip and I have a ton of knitting to catch up on.

2 comments:

Victory said...

Hate is such a strong word! I LOVED you; I just hated your super-dark-not-pasty-and-sunburned skin!

Sooo want to go to Hawaii someday! Although I will still come back white!

christy said...

I am finally updated on all your blog postings! I must admit, I prefer hearing the stories LIVE. See you tomorrow- I know you'll have a story to tell :)