Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pinwheel Blanket

This is by far the ugliest thing that I have ever made.  A pinwheel blanket made of reclaimed yarn.  Before pictures here on Ravelry.

It really is the ugliest thing ever.  I almost hate it.  Don't like the color, don't like the 2ply gray - white mix.  It's really not my style.  All the little knots and ends just add to the yuckiness.
A couple of years ago I was helping my dad move and I came across his Goodwill box and a giant sweater of his that he is now too small for.   I saw all that free yarn and thought that I would make a throw blanket for his new and very chilly house.  Just the thought of how optimistic and naive I was when thinking this would be a cool project makes me laugh.  I'm a far pickier knitter now.  Like the kid that won't eat their chicken nuggets because they are touching the mac'n cheese. 

Frogging this was a nightmare.  It wasn't a continuous knit piece of fabric but rather a cut piece of fabric.  I was determined and started tying all the little strings of yarn together with square knots.  I should of stopped there, darn those rose-colored glasses.
With both sleeves knit up and half the front I finally put the blanket down and it was never picked up again.  Making a couch sized circular blanket takes a very long time.  And it smelled bad because I neglected to wash the sweater before frogging it.  Finally, I stopped.

I dug it back out after finishing the Wallis because I really enjoyed binding off a project that had been sitting around for a long time.  I finished the row that I had stopped in the middle of.  Did one round of purl and then bond off.  It took about an hour.

I guesstimate that I used about 1/3 of the yarn in the sweater.  The entire back and part of the front hadn't even been frogged yet.  It comes to a nice baby blanket size.  Too small for me to use, but great for one of the girls to use.  And I washed it so it smells like Downy Lavender. :)

I took pictures of the blanket before washing, just in case the square knots didn't hold through the wash.  The knots were fine and I found three dropped stitches that started to run.  It just adds to the ugliness of it.

I am so glad that I finished this up right where it was left.  I don't have to spend another minute thinking about it and now I have the perfect blanket to take camping.  Because I really don't care if anything happens to it.

1 comment:

Victory said...

Yeeeeahhh, I've reclaimed yarn before but you have to make sure it's continuously knit. You have to pat yourself on the back for just sticking to it for that long.