Friday, July 2, 2010

The Wallis Cardigan

I know that you have been waiting for this one.  Well, I know Natalie has been waiting for this one.  How does it happen?  You start something, put it down for a minute and suddenly two years go by.  I got on Ravelry to edit my progress on the Wallis Cardigan (rav) and saw that I had cast it on May 1, 2008.  I can't believe that it has been that long. And yet, I totally believe it.
Sure, I've made lots of things between then and now. But two years to finish a sweater is a bit much.  As a result, I had to frog back a little bit when I started knitting on it again.  I had made a few modifications to the size and length of the sweater.  I also lost my notes.  So I frogged back to where the double knitting ended and reknit all the decreases.  This way the two fronts would match the back.

The main modifications to the sweater were increasing the length to fit my torso and adjusting the stitch count so the waist would fit my hips instead.  That fancy little bottom is suppose to by above my pants line.  I didn't use any buttons either.  I mattress stitched it closed instead.  In hindsight, I should of knit all of the hip band seamlessly.  The double knitting was a pain to seam up.

With all the changes I made to the bottom of the sweater, I didn't think to measure and verify that the top of the sweater would fit well also.  It's a little big in the neck and does this thing (see photo below).  I'm not sure what you call that, but I call it falling off my shoulders even though the sweater never actually falls off of me.
Photo taken by Cat
I still love it and plan on giving it lots of wear.  Out of the four tops that I have made for myself, this one will probably get the most wear as it fits the least awkwardly.  In two of the three other tops, the torsos are way to short.  The third one is long enough, but has a deep back that I don't like.  I plan on someday fixing that.

2 comments:

Desi said...

Looks pretty darn good from here!

Michelle said...

Very cute. I like that style on you. I'm not surprised that the shoulders slip a little but it doesn't look bad. And a good color on you too!