I averaged about a book every 6 weeks. That seems like a very long time to read a book. I also had to wait for the last book to come out in paperback in late January. I cheated and picked up the hardcover at the library, but of course couldn't finish before it was due. I was kicking myself for not grabbing the Scholastic copy at the school book fair when I saw it. That is one of the cool things about having a school aged child, you can get books in paperback that are not released for sale to the public.
LG loves to help during photoshoots.
There are five books in the Percy Jackson series, though Rick Riodan has a couple of other series including another Camp Halfblood series. I don't have any desire to read them. The Percy books are fun, but I think that I am done with Riodan.I guess that will free up my reading time for Rowling. I took full advantage of vacation time during Ski Week last week. It's nice when you have an extra two hours a day because you are not walking to and from school.
I'm already on Harry's fourth year of Hogwarts.
That is the other thing that is cool about having access to the Scholastic book program. I got the entire collection in paperback for $43. Not a huge steal but cheaper than Amazon. Plus no sales tax or shipping charges. Because the Scholastic program goes through high school I can find most NYTimes best sellers. I just have to use the book fairs for older aged books since things like The Lovely Bones isn't going to be in my kid's flyer.
It is very fun reading these books for the very first time and not having to wait for the next one to be released.
That's right, I've never read them. Okay, I did read one. I read the Sorcerer's Stone back in the 90's when the book was first released, I borrowed it from my cousin. I've also seen some of the movies. I thought that I had only seen through to the fourth movie, but talking with Senora I realized that I have seen the fifth one. I didn't follow it very well. I am not sure if that is because I hadn't read the book or if there was just stuff going on around the house. I've always waited until the movie came out on TNT or ABC Family or whatever channel it is that shows the Potter movies.
Oh, and I've played the Lego Harry Potter game. There is far much less detail in the game so it is easy to follow the basic storyline.
My opinion is that the first two books are pretty close to the movies. I enjoyed getting more details from the book with the Prisoner of Azkanban. Now I am really loving the Goblet of Fire, I'm a third of the way through it. This is my favorite Potter movie and the only one that I have seen twice. The first nine chapters of the book take 10 or 15 minutes in the movie version, so I feel like it really is new to me. Like I never knew that the Quidditch World Cup was already over when the attacks happened. Just stuff like that making me love it.
We are back in school today so between walking to and from school I'm writing a post and mopping the downstairs floors. I expect that my reading, knitting and puzzle building freetime will drop off. With the Potter books getting fatter and fatter I hope to be done by summer. There is still Spring Break!!!
3 comments:
I saw the Percy movie and thought that it wasn't terrible. Sounds like it's not really worth reading the books? I thought the HP books started going downhill at book 4 but I've met people who think the opposite. Have fun with them!
Oh, how fun! I hope you enjoy the series. I'm glad you get to read it all at once--that's so fun!
I really enjoyed the Percy books, too, but I think they're geared more towards boys, or moms with boys. I will eventually read the Camp Halfblood spin offs. Too much on my reading (that is, listening to via mp3) list right now.
Enjoy, sweet sister!
I haven't read any of those books. I haven't wanted to give up my knitting time. If you could handle Riodan one more time...We've got the 39 clues series. They're fantastic. Not at 7's reading level yet...so we're reading them outloud. All the books are written by different authors...and Riodan only wrote one of them. My FIL picked up the set for us for Christmas. I've heard from the librarian that the books are hard for the to keep on the shelf and there's a waiting list.
Post a Comment