Thursday, January 17, 2008

Not So Secret Project

I realized that I haven't told you about my "project" I am working on now. I've made 2008 my Year Of Giving. While visiting with my brother and his family, I though about how their son had been born before I started knitting, so he has never received a knitted gift from me. Then I thought about how much nice my brother and his wife are and that they deserve a nice little something, too. So, I am working a family set of hats and fingerless gloves. It's really cold where they live, so I picked up a bunch of malabrigo. Mmmm, warm and soft. But I don't want to give away too much on the blog.

There are others in the extended family network that can be expecting a little something from me this year, but not everyone. There are rules to everything, you know. First, it has to be something that they will wear. Some people just aren't into the home made stuff or don't live in a climate that calls for something knit. Second, I have to feel that they will appreciate the hard work and time that I am going to put into knitting a gift. Then every time someone compliments them, they have to sing my praises because the love that they own a little something knitted with love just for them. And because there is an exception to all the rules, if you are under 18, you get something regardless. That's a lot of knitting.

I've finished the Emilie hat with matching Fetchings. I modified the Fetchings slightly. I made the cables face each other like on the hat. I really like the way these look. I also lengthened the finger side by about an inch. I didn't want to make it too long though. The integrity of the pattern would of been compromised. Fetchings are on the right.
On a funnier note. In the office there is a color cards of paints laying around. I can just imagine...
"Wow, I love that yellow you painted your kitchen, what is it?"

"Oh, American Cheese."
I can't imagine painting anything "American Cheese." Of course, I also hate American cheese. I don't think that I have ever purchased it. The name does fit the color, though.

No comments: