Monday, October 20, 2008

An Unusual Rescue

I was at my Dad's this weekend again. He is slowly moving to another town about 45 minutes from where he is living now. It's a slow process for us. This weekend was not only filled with packing, but there was a U-haul involved. So, hopefully next time I visit him it will be just for fun.

Moving so much stuff meant that the garage door was open long periods of time. We were wrapping up for the night, being that it was getting dark and all, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A bright flash of orangey goodness. Of course, I wasn't thinking that at first. I just started calling out, "Cat! Cat! Cat!" I scrabbled around with everyone looking at my like I had finally done deranged. There my have been an exchange of money for bets won or lost.

I came across a broom handle. I charged across the garage and started stabbing between the boxes and other piles of junk to wear the creature was hiding. The entire time chanting, "Cat! There's a cat in the garage. Cat! Cat!" It's not like I don't like cats, I just get a little freaked out by strange, unknown animals running around all of our stuff.

I finally got a better look of the intruder. Thoughts run through my head, "Yeap, definitely a cat. Hmmm, not too big. Why is it so hard to scare this cat out of here?"

I call out for reinforcements, "There he is, see him? Hsssss, Hsssss, Hsssss, Ffftttt, Hssss!"

Then the cat has the gall to look right at me and mew. It wasn't a "meow," it was more like a cute, sweet, little scared "mew."

My reaction? "Oh, it mewed. The cute wittle kitty witty. Oh, feel how soft he is. What a soft little kitten witten. Oh and he's so nice." What could I do but pick up the cat a cuddle him for the next thirty minutes?My dad then bust out laughing and telling everyone to watch out for the big meany with the broom stick.

It was getting dark and we figured that his family was more likely home than not. We went to about fifteen houses without any luck. What are we going to do with a lost cat? We couldn't leave it outside overnight. We can't keep him, since there is moving going on and no one will be sleeping here anymore after tonight.So, the cat got a dog food dinner and spent the night on an old blanket in the garage. In the morning we had to let him outside to find his home on his own. He sure was a fun little kitten. I think I would of named him Todd. Or Pumpkin. Or Orangey. Or Cat. (my MIL's cat is named Meowy/White Kitty, so it would fit.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww. Are you sure you can't keep him?? He's so cute!

Myownigloo said...

Awwwww. Pwetty wittoh kitteh witteh. Wuv him.