Friday, March 13, 2009

Dogwood I & II

These are the Dogwoods. I designed this pattern to make a couple of hats for my nephews. I had picked out the yarn back in February of 2008 while visiting San Fransisco. I had no idea what I was going to make with it, but I bought it anyways because I figured I would make something for my sister. Then somewhere down the line I decided that I wanted to make cabled hats for my nephews. I then got creative and decided to design them, also.
Pattern: Dogwood I (Baby's Size)
Source: My Own Design
Yarn: Joseph Galler Inca Cotton in Ecru
Pattern: Dogwood II (Kid's Size)
Source: My Own Design
Yarn: Joseph Galler Inca Cotton in Ecru

Pretty cute hats, huh. I guess the kids are cute, too. My nephews.

The zigzag is actually a cable. I tried lots of different cables, but nothing really looked right. The yarn is thick-n-thin looks funny when the cables are overlapping each other. I finally found this zigzag and it works because the yarn doesn't overlap itself on the right side of the pattern. Then it was knit without any decreases and cast off.
I came up with the name Dogwood for a couple of reasons. First, I made the hats for my nephews. Nephews by definition are little boys and little boys like to climb trees. I thought that I could call the call TreeClimbers. Then because of the square shape of the hat, the top flaps look so cute (as seen in kid's version). They reminded me of dog ears. Then I thought Dogs?, Trees?, isn't there a tree named like a dog. And that is where the Dogwoods came from. It's tough naming a pattern.

I'm working on a third one in a different yarn chose and hopefully be able to share a pattern with you soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really sweet!

Vanessa said...

WOW! I really like those hats! Can't wait for you to share the pattern - you're so talented!

Sara and AJ said...

OK your amazing!!! I envy you!! I want your patience with knitting!! when I knit it's gotta be something that I can finish soon, or else I will lose interest in it, and forget what I was doing!! love the hats!!!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love it so cute your such an awesome knitter:) (((Hugs))) Darcy