Friday, June 4, 2010

A New Kind of Stash

There is a knitting post coming, DH just has the camera in another state right now.  Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I think that I have figured out a solution to the low selection of books at our local library.  I'm going to get a card for the library of the town just south of us.  I checked out their website and it's just as confusing as our local library's website.  But they do have big pictures next to the titles telling you if it's a movie, book, CD and that is nice.  If there is a book I really want to read that my library doesn't have I'll be reserving it online and then driving the 8 miles to the other library.  Driving the 8 miles along the beach... past 2 yarn shops... I think I'll deal.
A few books that we have just finished.
For the girls, I'm doing something a little different.  We have a ton of toddler books and check out four board books every week for LG.  It doesn't really matter how many times we check out the same book, because we love all of them.  BG gets a good variety of EZ readers and chapter books.  Most of them I have never heard of.  Though, I think that we are going to run out of EZ readers at her level by the time summer is up and she's going to start repeating books.  That or suck it up and just read chapter books.

I've started buying juvenile read book series.  I've always enjoyed reading the juvenile series as an adult.  I think it's because I never really read books when I was a kid.  I remember my dad and older siblings reading all the time, but I wasn't interested in the books that they were reading.  And I was a cool kid, I wouldn't be caught dead in the school library.  I also always seemed to get the English teachers that were tired of grading book reports.  I've read Of Mice and Men, a bunch of the Shakespeare plays, and other required school reads.  I am still kinda bummed that I didn't get the teacher that read the Mythology book.  I've always told myself I need to buy that one for fun.  But I never participated in the summer reading programs and my schools didn't give us a summer book list like they do now.

I figure that when I buy the books, they are going to get at least three reads.  One from me, one from BG and one from LG, when she gets a little older of course.  I'm not going to buy every book we want to read, but some of the more classic or super popular series like Harry Potter, Warriors, and Lord of the Rings.  
 A New Kind of Stash
Here are some of the new books I've picked up.  I got the first 6 Warriors on Amazon and then couldn't help myself when I saw Percy Jackson for just $11 at Costco.  I also picked up one of my favorites for LG, the Bernstein Bears.  My favorite one is Forget Their Manners,  I loved reading these when I was in Kindergarten.  With summer coming, there is more reading around the house and less knitting.  It's hard to work with yarn while sunbathing by the pool.

And thanks to everyone that gave us book suggestions.  Desi, we thought the Catwings series was so cute.  Vicster, I'll have to keep Redwall in mind.  Swashbuckling mice might be fun to read when we are all done with our cat adventures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge reader so I'm always excited by books. I've read a lot of YA books as an adult that I missed as a kid, which was actually nice.

Happy reading!