Monday, December 20, 2010

Gingerbread House

Every year Grandma gives us chocolate advent calendars and a gingerbread house to put together.  It's normally the house you see at Michaels or the grocery store.  I think Costco even has it.  

This year Grandma went to Trader Joe's.  Chocolate advent calendars are basically the same where ever you go and loved by all children.  Chocolate every day until Christmas!  

But oh, the gingerbread house is way cute.
It's base on a German A-frame house.  In my opinion, the Germans really know how to do Christmas.  I don't know if that is because the first Christmas that I can remember I was living in Germany at the time or because the Germans are really that good.

Everything you see here came in the kit.  I only had to add an egg and some vinegar to mix up the "sticky" frosting.  I thought it was interesting that it called for vinegar to make the powered sugar and egg mixture sticky.  I had never done that before, but it was the best gingerbread house glue I had ever used.

Here is BG's side.  She took her time, picked out her colors, and made it pretty.
Here is LG's side.  She went crazy and couldn't put the candies on fast enough. 
This was the most fun gingerbread house that we had ever put together.  I think it was the kids, not the house that did it.  BG did most of the gluing and building.  I did the fancy frosting work that you see in the front and the tree.  BG is starting to get her crafter's hand and I think next year I will be strictly supervising the two girls putting together their own house.

After the house was all put together, I set it up on the entry table by our front door.  I thought that this would be the best place because it's the least accessible to LG, even though the house is on a low sitting table.  You see, we have a baby-proofing gate that blocks not only the staircase, but the downstairs bath and the front door.  Normally every time the gate is left open, LG charges for the staircase or the front door if it is also open.  Lately, she charges for the gingerbread house.

There are no more gummy candies left on the house.

2 comments:

km said...

Cute House! We normally decorate ours on Christmas eve...then we can take pictures and eat it right away.

Michelle said...

That is a nice house. I've been looking at the pans that have come out this year for making houses but I'd rather have Jon design me a house in his CAD software that's more to our tastes. I would love to be in Austria for the Christmas markets some year.