Friday, April 23, 2010

The Poppy Fields

On our vacation we stopped in a wonderful land called Oz.  We didn't check out too many of the sites, but we did spend some time in the poppy fields.  We are pretty glad that the Wicked Witch of the West had been disposed of by Dorothy.  Our schedule would not allow for a nap.
We drove through the Poppy Fields in Lancaster and the flowers are in full bloom.   For as long as I lived in this area, I never stopped to smell the flowers and it smelled wonderful.  I wasn't sure if was the poppy's fragrance or one of the many other different types of flowers growing in the fields.  It was almost citrus like.  Makes me want to plant a bunch of these.
None of these pictures do justice to the bright, neon orange that covered the ground.  We meet up with some friends that live out there and she said that this was a great year for the flowers.  She hadn't seen a year like this for a while.   The kids enjoyed running around and were covered in orange pollen by the time they were done. 
Mom, quick!  I can see the Emerald City!

7 comments:

km said...

The Poppy Fields are on my list every year. I must make next year my year. In Carlsbad, there's some Ranunculus to see. Beautiful photos of the the girls.

Michelle said...

At least the orange pollen would look cute on the blue dress! Those photos are making me want to sneeze. :-)

Desi said...

Ooooooh. Have your seen the flower fields in your neck of the woods?
PS: Thanks for calling me fearless!

Senora Fuerte said...

So beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does look like a scene out of a movie. I'm so happy the flowers are blooming again!

Victory said...

This is gorgeous! We bought some poppy seeds to plant in our yard yesterday. :)

Sara and AJ said...

I miss Poppy fields!! what great pictures!!