Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Garter Brim Baby Hat

Here's a little hat that I knit up for LG right after she was born.  It was way too big for her in the beginning, but I figured she would grow into it.  Now she is about to grow out of it.  
When I started knitting this, I just wanted a simple hat to match the Saartje's Bootees that I made her.  She has long since grown out of the bootees and they are tuck away in a baby box.  I've gotten so much use out of this ball of Rio de la Plata.  Seven projects before I ran out of yarn hat to include another pair of socks that LG has just grown into.
I actually free-knit the decreases on this hat.  I didn't want the traditional spiral and really liked the Turn A Square (rav).  So I guessed how he did it and I suppose I guessed right.  It was really easy.  Just be able to divide your stitch count by eight, pair up the decreases evenly around the hat and decrease one ssk and one k2tog facing each other every other row and you get this.  I you don't understand what I mean, I'm just being lazy and this is why I don't write patterns.
Um... I don't mean to interrupt, but Mom....  you got a little somethin'... right...  No other side... Okay you got it.

We've gotten a ton of use out of this little hat and I will hate to see it go once her head has out grown it.  Though I am hoping that her head will stop growing at some point in time.  At her last check up she was in the 99th percentile.  I guess she got her daddy's head, all full of brains.  The big heads in my family are just our egos.
Okay enough of this already.  I want to go outside and play now.  I don't care if it's been raining.  You have to change my clothes ten times a day anyways.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

She just wants you to have a reason to keep knitting for her by continually out growing her clothes.

Anonymous said...

That's what's fun about knitting for babies...you always have an excuse to knit more!