Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Boom CRASH Rumble

Last night was seriously the loudest thunderstorm that I have ever heard.  It woke up the whole family at about 2am.  LG and I crawled into bed with BG.  I'm really glad she has a double-sized bed, though I did consider kicking DH out of the king-sized and letting us girls sleep in there.  After an hour, BG had gone back to sleep so that everyone could go back to their own beds.

I can't believe how loud the thunder was.  At first I was thinking that because we are closer to the coastline than where we lived in LA, that we were listening to the thunder over the ocean.  Once morning came, I wasn't exactly sure where that thought process was going.  Also, Facebook confirmed that it was really the loudest storm ever no matter where you lived.

I literally got up the next morning to see if I could find the house that was struck and burnt down because the thunder was so loud it sounded like it was in my backyard. It literally shook the house.  I imagine that if the lightning had actually struck in our backyard it would of been so loud we would of peed our pants.  

There is really only one other storm in my life that I can think of that was louder.  I don't really remember the storm, but I remember the next morning.

I was about 6 or 7 years old and my family was living in Germany, only it was called West Germany at the time.  I think that this is where I first fell in love with the rain.  I would ride my bike every time the drops started pouring and then when it subsided, I would go home for fresh socks and a hot chocolate.  It's so cool that my mom would let me do that, because I would never allow my daughters out in the rain.  Though it may have been easier to send me out to play in the rain than entertain me indoors all day.

There was a very loud storm one night as siblings and I were tucked in our beds.  The wind blew so strongly that the tree outside my bedroom window actually blew over, splitting into two parts as it happened.  A landscaping crew was out the very next morning to remove the remainder of the tree with all their power equipment.  They had been there for about half an hour before I finally woke up.

I had slept through the entire storm and tree falling over.  I was the only one not woken up by the storm.  I have to imagine that it was very loud if it halfway pulled a tree out of the ground.  If a tree falls over and no one is awake to hear it, does it make a sound?

Recently my dad found some incomplete medical records from when I was 2.5 to 6ish years old.  I had chronic ear infections as a kid (this explains a lot).  So, I guess I slept through the storm because I had water in my ears and couldn't hear a thing. 

My daughters' ears are fine and we stayed up for an hour listening to the thunder crash and trying to go back to sleep.  On the bright side, there was a lot of cuddling and not fighting over mommy between the girls. 

1 comment:

Victory said...

I remember that storm! And riding bikes in the rain--good times.

BTW, the weather in Oregon is almost exactly the same as in Germany, to give you an idea of what it's like here. Yum.