Friday, October 22, 2010

Little Rock, Big Pond

There is something that happens to Southern Californians when it rains.  We lose our minds.

The first thing to go is our ability to drive.  Some speed and slide while others go extra slow because there is water on the road.  There are always accidents.  I haven't ran any errands this last week for fear of having a fender bender.

Next we realize that we very poorly prepared for rainy weather.  I don't own rain boots.  It rains enough that I say I should buy rain boots.  Then I don't want to pay for overnight shipping, so I sit on the order.   It rains for another four days and counting. Then I think that I really need to order them, but by the time they get here the rain will be gone.  I still haven't ordered rain boots.

Then the brain really starts to go out the window.  I don't know if it's because we are desperate to find activities for our children or what.

Friday afternoon I walked into a conversation.  Next thing I knew I had a bunch of emails in my inbox.  Five days later I was at the San Diego Imperial North County Girl Scout Office going through my Leadership Orientation.

The lady described us a "beautiful rocks thrown into a pond."  Something about the "ripple effects" that we were going to have on the girls' lives.  World a better place.  Blah blah blah.  I just heard rock and pond.  I wonder if I can swim?

I'm not totally crazy.  I'm co-leader with another mom.  We are putting together a co-op style troop.  That means that all the moms will be required to join Girl Scouts and will have to help with organizing at least one of the eight meetings.  We also meet only once a month.  There will be other outside activities, but we'll figure that out later.  Mostly we are just trying to see if it will even come together.

Oh, and against popular belief, Girl Scouts does not cost $12 a year.  I mean, that's your membership fee, but if you want to wear a uniform vest, earn patches, or do anything there needs to be some starter money.  We seem to have a few moms that don't like fundraising.  Only thing is that is what pays for everything.  If you fund raiser right, you can only pay for the first year and everything else is covered.

So like I said, we are still trying to see if this thing is even going to come together.

Believe it or not, this was not my idea.  But if putting the little bit of effort will give my kids a great experience, then I'm all for it.

6 comments:

Live, Laugh, and Love :) xoxo said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Michelle said...

I just thought that you should know that I DID see your Girl Scout post....

Desi said...

So worth it! Tiny's sixteen and still involved. She was at HQ last night, teaching younger kids about DNA extraction!

Victory said...

Things to do when it's raining...I assume you mean AFTER dancing in the rain & making glorious mud pies? Then inside for a hot bath & snuggling on the couch. :D

thanya said...

Wow. You're like Super Mom! I think the Girl Scout thing will work out and be loads of fun! :)

Simple and Posh Crafts said...

Some of my favorite childhood memories are from my Girl Scout days and the things I learned, I still use today. My mom was troop leader for a couple of years and when she wasn't she was "Cookie Mom". Have fun and good luck!