One of my jobs as an assistant room mom was to help with the class Halloween party. It's days like that when I am glad I'm crafty and have lots of ideas. I thought up the pipe cleaner spiders and the Kleenex ghost, though I didn't have to pick up the supplies for the ghost. I was super excited to do one of my favorite Halloween games. The Mystery Box.
I spray painted a box from Costco black that was already missing the bottom (or top in real life) and had a cut out in the back. The only cutting I had to do was the hole that I covered with construction paper so the kids could put their hand in but not see in. I also spray painted the little foam letters white and they were added all three sides and the top of the box.
I used egg noodles for Monkey Brains and learned I had to tell the boys not to pull the stuff out of the box. I used gum for Cow's Teeth and learned that spearmint flavor gives away what it really is. I used hard boiled eggs for Alligator Eyes and learned that no matter how many times I told them, the kids did not believe that eyeballs smell as bad as eggs. Then my favorite and the one that no one guessed. A roma tomato that I rolled and softened two days earlier for a Bamboo Heart. There were very specific directions not to squeeze while holding this one.
It was a total hit.
As I was put the box together we decorated the first of all our pumpkins. These are a couple of freebies we got a week before Halloween. I don't like carving pumpkins but I love to spray paint. We decorated our pumpkins first with puffy paint. They puffier the better.
Then I spray painted them a solid color. A white kitty for LG and a black bat for BG. I would love to get a bunch of little pumpkins next year and do this for a table centerpiece. Maybe I still can for Thanksgiving?
After going to the pumpkin patch, I still didn't want to carve pumpkins. LG and I grabbed our assorted colored permanent markers and hand painted our pumpkins.
DH and BG carved theirs so they could have the pumpkin seeds. The house smelled like Worcestershire sauce for hours. I think that they did a pretty job and they looked awesome on Halloween night. 



1 comment:
I like the spray paint idea. I bet you could get small fake pumpkins from a craft store and have something permanent. In fact I think I'll do that next time I'm near a craft store with fake pumpkins. Guess it'll be next year...
Post a Comment