Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you Veterans out there and everything you have done for freedom. 

Today is Veteran's Day so there is no school.  I got up at my usual early time and did what I wish I could do every morning.  My chores.  Now they are all done and I have the rest of the day to have fun... until it's time to cook dinner.  Normally my mornings are filled with getting ready and going to school.  When I get home, LG is ready for me to pay attention to her all day long and the chores get squeezed in if at all.

Yesterday was one of those super busy days when no chores got done.  I think I have to start with Friday to get this story going.

Friday, we had our first Girl Scouts meeting.  The other moms will tell you that my co-leader and I were super organized.  My co-leader will tell you that she thinks it went really great.  I'll tell you that I think we need to got more organized. 

It went really well for being our first meeting and not knowing what we were doing.  I think that we, the leaders, need a little more practice bouncing off each other so that we don't bounce the meeting right out the door.  The girls need to learn that even though it's a Friday after school, they still need to settle down and listen like they would in class.  I checked out a book from the library called Games to Play with Girl Scouts.  This might help them get some of the energy out and helps me feel more organized.

We put a big rush on getting the troop together and having our first meeting because we wanted the girls to participate in their first big scouting event. 

Every year on the day before Veterans Day the Boy and Girl Scouts of our school host a flag raising ceremony.  Local Veterans of various times of war and peace are invited to our school for a breakfast and then recognized at a flag raising ceremony done by active Marines.
The scouts get to have a special meet and greet time with the Veterans and (most important to a grade schooler) wear their uniform at school.
I tried to get BG to let me take a picture without all the kids in the background.  But she wouldn't leave her classmates.  Then when I had a chance to, I forgot. 

Right after the ceremony I was off to buy this from Craigslist for $75.  That's a deal since you rarely see a good one for under $150 and the $100 are small little pieces of junk.
It is currently hiding on the side of my house where the kids never play until Christmas.  I think this is the only time I'm ever grateful that our yard has pour drainage and is still soaking wet after all that rain we got.  You have to walk through the soggy grass to get to the side yard.

LG was with me the whole time while I picked it up and re-assembled it.  She "oohh" and "aahh"ed the entire time.  Of course I let her play in it until naptime.  That is the nice thing about shopping for kids this age.  When she sees it again it will be brand new all over.

Then it was off to school pickup and no homework because of the holiday.  LG went to bed early while BG and I stayed up watching movies.  This morning LG had a playdate at our house and my dad is driving here as I type.  Actually, he's late so I have time to type. 

I think these last two days have been the most fun I've had in a while.  Thanks Veterans for the holiday!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That house looks like it'll be a lot of fun for the girls. Hope they don't accidentally find it!!