Monday, February 22, 2010

The Red Group

The start of another exciting week and it was raining.  I had planned a Picnic in the Park with the Red Group that was then moved to a coffee house because I didn't think anyone would want to sit on wet grass. 

I've been a little more comfortable with the Red Group from the beginning.  I like to tell myself that it is because the group is a little more diverse in age, ethnicity, whatever else.  But today I was thinking it's probably because I'm not the only new member.  Because it is a wider range of kids, 2009-2010, there are new members each month.  It's also fun to see the pregnant girls. 

I've also become known as "the girl that knits real good."  I think that it was actually Blue Group that I gave me that name.  I've hosted a knitting group at my house and they seem to be really popular.  I'm happily surprised to find a lot of knitters in this group, though only one has heard of Ravelry.  Most of the girls learned a long time ago and just need a refresher to remember how to cast on or knit stitch.  They seem more like learners than needy knitters that want you to do everything for.  In exchange for getting some new knitting friends, I'm teaching basic knitting skills.  It's very difficult when there are a bunch of babies that want to be played with.

This weekend, I got an email from the organizer of the Red Group.  She was wondering if I would like to be an Assistant Organizer.  All I have to do is put up at least two events a month, they don't even have to be at my house, and be a cheerleader for the group.  Okay, I added that second part.  I don't know how I couldn't be a cheerleader though.  I'll be able to add my own events without asking someone else to do it.  I'm mostly a weekday morning events person.  I have BG in the afternoons and family time on the weekends.  I'm going to try it for a couple of months and see how I do.

They asked me because I come up with good ideas and am crafty.  If you are like me, you really need encouragement to get the craft thing going.  Good thing I read blogs.  You guys are my inspiration!  I also came up with Mommy Swaps - exchanging small, inexpensive themed gifts.  I got that idea from the knitting swaps.  Every month I do a picnic at a different park, this is mostly because I want to learn about the parks in my community.  I keep forgetting to get the free community paper from the library, but I'm sure there are a ton of ideas in there, too.  See, I'm not really that creative, I just use what is around me.  She also said that she thinks that I would bring a lot of fun to the group. feeling special

Kidlets

Okay, change of plans.  I'm just going to do a kidlets update once a week.  And it's not today.  Try as I might, I'm not that exciting of a mom and my kids are pretty mellow.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sounds like the red group is a really good fit for you. And that's great that there are people willing to try things and have fun. I've never had a lot of luck finding people like that.