My SIL and I are throwing a baby shower for my sister this week. We are having it at her MIL's house and I've been talking to her on the phone quite a bit lately. Our first conversation always cracks me up when we started talking about the cake. The MIL said something along the lines of, "Have you ever heard of Costco? They have these cakes..."
Wow, Costco. Huh, what's that? I told my SIL and the both of us are pretty against the Costco cake. She says they taste bad, I say that they are ugly. About a week ago we got the MIL to concede and we are making cute cupcakes instead. SIL thinks they are cuter and I think they are a lot nicer than cutting up a cake at a party that I would like to enjoy, also.
Thursday and Friday I did the practice run of making cupcakes.
I used to bake a lot. My mother taught me before she died. But she never got the chance to teach me to cook. I joke about how bad my cooking is, but I was always so proud of my baking. I stopped baking when we moved to LA because we didn't have any space in our house to make a mess like that. Stepping into the baking arena again makes me a little nervous. I keep thinking about this blond joke I tell...
Thursday we baked and ate half of the un-frosted cupcakes. I didn't burn down the house or anything, thank goodness. Friday I decorated the remaining dozen cupcakes. I also practiced a new skill that I have never tried before, fondant. It's actually pretty easy. I used this recipe, recommended by a friend and made a huge mess.
The shower cupcakes are going to be chocolate with chocolate fondant and little pink hearts on the them. And there are going to be three dozen of them. It should be fun.
Knitting
I finished the Comfy Blanket Friday night and sewed in all the ends. Pics still need to be taken. I am so glad to finally be able to knit for myself and the kids. I've already started on something.
The Blond Joke
Oh, and before I forget...
There's this blond. She's feeling ambitious and decides to throw a party and bake a bunch of cupcakes for it. Getting in the mood, she ties on her apron, pulls out all the ingredients and then thinks it would be nice to light a couple of candles. She has cupcake scented candles and it would really set the scene. I guess she doesn't know that baking cupcakes will also scent your house like cupcakes.
She is very busy making a mess in her kitchen when she tosses a dish towel out of the way and it lands on a candle.
WHOOSH! there is a big fire.
The blond grabs her cell phone and runs out of the house dialing 911.
"Quick you have to come to my house, it's on fire," the blond cries.
"Okay, maam," says the dispatcher trying to calm her down, " How do we get to your house?"
The blond replies, "Duh, in the big red truck."
Ba da dum.
2 comments:
Cute cupcakes. Do you read Bakerella? She linked to a really cute looking cupcake decorating book that I want to get. Now you've got me wanting a cupcake!
those turned out great!!!!
Post a Comment