Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One Fell Off and Broke His....Needle?

Two little Monkeys jumping on the bed. This is such a fun sock to knit. Apparently, they like to have fun jumping on the bed. They are quite carefree and playful.Here's a better better shot of the socks .
Pattern: Monkey Socks by Cookie A. (No Purls)
Source: Knitty.com, Winter 2006
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Socks That Rock, Medium-weight in Farmhouse

As far as jumping on the bed. I would of thought that these silly little monkeys would of learned something about being cautious from the needles they were knit with. The needles were very careless, running around town tossed in a bag, letting everything hang out. In short, I broke one of my 5" sock needles carrying it around everywhere. I tried to switch the sock to my 10" #2 double points. This was impossible. Then I realized that if I were ever going to knit something that required 10"#2 double points, I would need to just buy a circular needle. So, I took one of those long needles and turned it into two needles (on the the left). They are the same length as one of my 5" sock needles (on the right).How did I make such nifty needles? I took my kitchen scissors and cut them exactly in half. Then it was off to the pencil sharpener. After I had as close to a point as I was going to get, I filed the point with a course nail file and smoothed it with a fine nail file. The points are a little more blunt than the original tips, but the work like a charm.

2 comments:

Good Yarns said...

That was one cute post. The Monkeys were great in the STR and you clearly had fun with them.

But its the needle that impressed me: that was one significant piece of ingenuity! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are great!! Love that colorway!