Last week, while I was getting BG ready for Sea World, I got a phone call from my brother. The thing about my brother is that he never calls to see what's up. It's always something important. And yay! My sister-in-law's water broke. The baby was born happy and healthy, almost three weeks early at almost 7 lbs., so he was ready to come out.
This story starts so much sooner than a phone call last week. It starts with a phone call I got from my SIL while LG was still cooking. It's when she was telling me that she also had a bun. I immediately objected. SIL is such a copycat because the last time I was pregnant with BG, she was too. Her boys follow my girls by 9 and 6 months. I still love my SIL. More than other people. So when she asked if I would make her bun a blanket to come home from the hospital in, I said yes.
This is a big deal. I don't knit for other people. In the two months that it took me to make a blanket, I thought of all the other things I could have made. All the stash I could of stashed-down. But I love my brother and his family. They have always been so kind to us, even when I act like a butthead - in a loving, big sister way.
The big deal about this blanket was that she wanted to bring the baby home from the hospital in it, so it couldn't be late. And I did it. I finished the blanket in time for her baby shower. The baby shower that I missed because I had mastitis and the antibiotics made me too dizzy to drive. I tried, almost got the car packed before I realized that I just couldn't do it. So, I told her that I would pop it in the mail right after the weekend and the holiday Monday.
Did I mention I got this phone call at 7am Tuesday morning? The Post Office hadn't even been open yet. I hastily took pictures of the blanket in the early morning sun, took BG to Sea World and then punched Post Office into the GPS.
I found the coolest Post Office. It was right by the Naval base and the size of a warehouse. It must be where all the Naval guys send their mail while deployed. It was really old, too. The boxes were gold colored with little stars around the keyholes. I thought about running back to my car and grabbing my camera. Then I thought that I shouldn't run the risk of getting detained under the Patriot Act because I had a 6yo to pick up after lunch. But it was a really cool Post Office.
Only bummer is that they don't guarantee overnight delivering the pea-bodied, mountain town that my SIL lives in. She got it the day after they all came home.
For being a big o'blanket, I really enjoyed knitting this. The idea of the blanket came from one that Senora Fuerte made. I'm such a copycat. It's the Yarn Harlot's scarf stitch for the border and straight stockinette stitch for the body. All the little fuzzies that I picked up while knitting show on the chocolate colored yarn, but being so soft makes up for it.
Ravelympics
I seriously suck at this. I haven't knit a stitch on my Wallis Sweater since before the last time I said I sucked. Then this morning I got inspired. I dug through my stash for my cotton yarns and cast on. It's a small project that I may be able to finish in the next couple of days. Maybe it will count as my Ravelympics project.


3 comments:
Those early babies...can't keep cooking for a blanket to arrive. It is beautiful...and looks so soft from here.
If I had entered this afghan that I decide to knit last Wednesday...then I'd be doing ok on my Olympic Knitting. But, my WIP hasn't seen a stitch since day 2 of the Olympics. C'est la vie.
And of course I didn't sign up but I'll have finished a quilt, a pair of socks, 8oz of spinning and crocheted 3 pillows. That's how it always works out though! Glad you finished the blanket in time and it eventually made it to the baby. I recognized the stitch immediately. :-)
Post a Comment