Long, long ago, two Thursdays, we were walking to school and it was cold. Not freezing, but the little nip that chilled you to the bone if the wind caught you wrong. I looked at LG's feet and thought that she needed a little something more than socks over her footsies to keep her warm. When I came home I dug through my stash and pulled out my organic cottons. You remember that, right?
I was so excited to cast on little bootees for her. I knit one bootee, making the 9-12mth size, the pattern comes in 0-6mths and 9-12mths. I didn't gauge because I think that with a baby knit, if it's too big they will grow into it. It was way big. My gauge was a little large, but I think the pattern just knits big because other people on Ravelry said that they had to go down needle sizes. Normally I would just finish them and let her grow into the size, but I want them to fit her right now!
So I frogged a finished bootee and started over.
Then I lost all of my motivation. Then next morning while we were walking to school, we were striping the layers of scarves and sweaters that we were wearing. It was really warm for the next week.
I knew I had to finish these, but it's so hard to knit for cold weather in warm weather, and I was just being lazy. With May Gray so far away, I have all the time in the world. I kicked my lazy butt and finished them up and the next day it was freezing again in the morning on our way to school. She's gotten a ton of compliments on them also. :)
I looked up 'bootie' and learned that it can be a variant for both bootee and booty. So, I'm going with the double 'e' from now on. I don't want to think about butts while I'm knitting.
The Librarian
I think I'm pissin off the librarian. But I'm probably over thinking myself as usual.
Last week at BG's book club, I got in trouble. I was recording her minutes read on a calendar that I had printed out and not the sheet that she passed out. I'm just doing it the way that is easier for me because I figured all she wants in the minutes, right? Wrong. She wants the sheet with all the titles that BG reads so that she doesn't repeat titles when she read a book. She was strongly opinionated about this and I walked away thinking I made her mad.
Really? There are like, twenty plus kids in the class. You can't possibly think that you are never going to read a title they haven't ever heard. Stay away from Junie B Jones, we've read all those. But it's what she wants. It doesn't make sense to me and my kid doesn't care if she hears a story twice. She just wants to go for the storytime and to play with her school buddies.
I am now writing the titles and just scribbling the minutes from her chapter books, school reading, and magazine browsing, reading picture books to LG, all together as one number for the week.
Then today, at the Lapsit Read for LG, I was three minutes late. Class had started and the only seat open was right next to the librarian on the other side of the circle. Oops. Then I sat down and realized that LG had kicked off one of her Uggs. Oops, oops. But I couldn't risk my just knit bootee not getting turned into the lost and found or worst, getting ran over by a car.
I had to walk across the circle a total of three times.
She's probably thinking, "I hate that mom."
Then... yes there is more,
...she changed the forms for the big kid reading group, which makes more sense now, and BG didn't pick one up. So, I had to bug her again to get one.
I don't think that I am really making her mad, I'm just another one of Those Moms.
6 comments:
What can we do? We're square pegs in round holes. Sounds like that librarian needs to get... knitting!
Your Uggs are precious. I love the green. I was so sad when Q finally outgrew his.
Love the uggs yummy I agree you cannot make sure you wont read a book twice unless you keep a list and take it with you everytime which is crazy they read so many books so dont worry just do your thing because no matter what you do you wont make everyone happy so my hubby tells me just to worry about making him happy;)lol Hugs Darcy
The Uggs are adorable! I tried knitting them for my nephews but after 1 boot I gave up. It was huge and well I just moved on to something else.
Love the baby uggs. I haven't made that pattern but the sizing sounds familiar from someone I know making them. And sometimes people just don't click. Or it could be the librarian. Definitely not you. :-)
I think no matter how hard we try it's impossible to never be "That Mom". But it doesn't mean we don't hate to be That Mom, right?
Post a Comment