Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Adorable Apple Cozy

It's Teacher Appreciation Day on Friday, but our school spreads it out and students are assigned different days of the week to bring a gift.  We were assigned to bring flowers today.  BG picked out some hydrangeas in Teacher's favorite color, blue.
Teacher will also recieved this cute little apple cozy (rav), because I thought I was being smart.  I check the school calendar every month and look for crazy hair day or wear plaid day.  I saw Teacher Appreciation Day and whipped up this little baby while watching The Neverending Story a couple of weeks ago.  I was very proud of myself for being ahead of the game.

The next day I got the email saying that we were assigned Flowers Wednesday.  We could of traded days with someone so that we would have Healthy Snack Friday, but we are not going to be in town on Friday.  Hmmm.  Teacher gets two presents from us.

I don't mind though.  This cozy is a very fast knit and if you have buttons on hand, you can have it done in less time than it takes to watch a classic kids' movie.  It also uses up scrap yarn.  I used leftover yarn from all the dishcloths that I periodically crochet up.  It's Sugar'N Cream Cotton and I have a ton of it in the house.

I don't have a ton of buttons.  BG scolded me for taking one out of her button collection.  I figure that it's her contribution to the gift.   I'm thinking that I am going to steal another button when I make BG's Apple Cozy.

Around the House
I've been keeping myself busy with a few me things.  I am 85% done with the Wallis Sweater thanks to a day of knitting and watching the Firefly series.  We got Netflix.  As a result,  I'm turning off the TV for two days with the exception of watching Lost.  I gotta watch Lost. 

BG has been watching the Lord of the Ring Trilogy.  I went to the library and picked up The Hobbit to read to her.  She asks too many questions, though she can follow along with the characters pretty well.  But we were reading it way too slowly or she was falling asleep.  I'm finishing the book by myself and really enjoying it.  I have actually never read any of these books though we owned them when I was a kid.

Have any of you ever read the Warriors Cats Series?  I'm thinking about reading that to BG instead.  I read them a few years ago.  They are really fun and fast reads, being about cats and all.  Plus, they are only a couple of grade levels above BG.  So by the time we finish the first series, she may want to read the second series herself.   There are three series about the cats and a new series with bears. 

There is a 4th grader in the neighborhood that is reading the books, she thinks it's so cool that I've read them already.  That's me... Cool Mom?  Then she asked me what my clan was... ummm....

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I so want to make myself an apple cozy sometime. We're watching Firefly right now because Jon hasn't seen them. This is my second or third time... I'm also rewatching Buffy and Angel. I read the Hobbit in high school I think and I have to agree that it's a bit slow for someone younger, though it was entertaining. Maybe I was in 8th grade? Yay for new books!

Desi said...

Cute stuff. Is it actually knitted because it looks crocheted? She might also like the Catwings series.

Victory said...

Love the apple cozy. I love that shade of blue, and the button is perfect!

Has BG read the Wizard of Oz series yet? I remember really enjoying it at her age. Also, is she too young for Redwall? Swashbuckling mice are always fun.

km said...

Love the apple cozy! I've always wanted to know...does it really work? If that meant that my apples packed in a picnic wouldn't be bruised...then I need one.

Anonymous said...

Now that cozy is original! Love that.