Thursday, May 29, 2008

T - Minus 10 and Counting

I have know that my SIL is pregnant with twins for about 5 months or so. I've known it a boy and a girl for 3 months or so. I've known that they are due in late July, but being twins, will probably come early. I would love to blame my rush on someone else, "What! A two week notice on the baby shower. Don't they know I'm hand knitting something?" But that just wouldn't be fair. So, I had a 15 day notice on how long I had to make two teddy bears with yarn that I haven't even bought yet. Did I rush out and buy yarn? Of course not. I have company coming in over the weekend. (My sister and the stitchmarkers). So, I didn't bother dragging her to my LYS.

On Monday, I dug around in my stash and found so great white organic cotton that would be perfect for the bottom of the feet. I need to find brown yarn though. I run to my LYS on Tuesday. Closed. What! I only have 11 days left. So, yesterday at lunch was a mad rush to find and buy yarn. The good news is I knew exactly where to look. I found more organic cotton, exactly the same as the yarn in my stash, but decided on the organic boucle cotton. It looks more teddy bear like.Can you tell which ball I hand rolled? Hehe.So here is the pattern and the work so far. The Classic Teddy Bear. I was going to make Otto, until I saw the nursery and realized Otto is too cool and modern for the bears on the wallpaper. The room is VERY classic teddy bear. Which also mean that I will have a lot of sewing to do. I had to give myself a time management calender.

Days 10 - 6: knit 8 of the 38 pieces a day. Of course, the larger pieces will be knit on the weekends and thank goodness I have 3-day weekends.
Days 5-4: one day for each bear to be sewn up.
Day 3: stuffing and embrodering the eyes and nose. (I won't be making the arm joints).
Day 2: finishing touches and catch up.
Day 1: day of rest.

Yesterday was actually Day 10, so I am on schedule with the 8 ear pieces, front and back to four ears, and the 2 right sides of the heads. I may be able to do this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet to do that on such short notice! Good luck--hope the babies stay inside as long as possible.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the beautiful teddy bears. Please have the new mommy take a picture of them so that they will be properly preserved.