Monday, November 10, 2008

Fresco Fair Isle Mitts

So, on Friday when I said that there would get a FO post tomorrow, I really meant sometime before Wednesday. And Haley's blog being updated this weekend, well that means by Thanksgiving; maybe. Here is the holiday knit I promised you; it is for my younger sister.
Pattern: Fresco Fair Isle Mitt by Pam Allen ( Rav)
From: Interweave Knits, Fall 2008
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in Black Parade, Happy Forest and Deep Seaflower

It all started when she was visiting me a while back. My Interweave Knits came in the mail and the two of us thumbed through it together. When we saw the Fresco Mitts, I was told how fingerless mitts are the perfect accessory for the stylish snowboarder. Okay, she didn't put it that way. It was more about how you wear them under your snowboarding gloves, but when you take those off you can still be warm, but if you have to adjust something you still have your fingers. This lead to a few hours later a conversation about favorite colors. My intentions became all to clear when I started comparing our hand sizes and inquiring about what her snowboarding jacket looked like. Exactly. Because you know me, I like things that match. I absolutely love these mittens. I can see myself having my very own pair in the near future. They were an a lot of fun to knit and the fair isle was very easy to follow. I also got to do something that I had never done before, knitting with yarn in both hands. It was a good thing I got all of that Continental knitting practice in while teaching the same sister to knit.Because I was only using three colors instead of the recommended five, I didn't follow the stripping pattern. The blues and greens were put into a random stripe generator. I have to say that I am very happy with the results. I think that I did a very good job with the color selection. Of course in reality, my sister picked which colors to use, I just got to do the shopping.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow wow wow. Those are spectacular! I am so impressed! Seriously - the colors and the patterns are just beautiful! Nice job, lucky sister!

Vanessa said...

Gorgeous! Your sister is going to love them. Isn't the random stripe generator amazing? Oh, and I have to add that Haley's quote of the week was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mitts!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Yummy pattern love the colors:)Hugs Darcy