One of the things about where we live, just south of LAX, is that it is kinda in a bubble of it's own. My neighbor once described it that short of an earthquake or nuclear attack, we are pretty much not phased by disasters. This includes all of the crazy fires that have been going on in Southern California the last four days. Living so close to the beach, it's got to be pretty bad before even our air gets yucky.
Yesterday when we hopped on the freeway, within minutes of driving inland the sky was covered in a blanket of smoke. Once we got on the 22, because the 91 was closed, and we got some pretty spectacular views of the smoke.

Here we are a little more south. I'm guessing that this is coming from the Brea/Corona fires.
Once we were at the Discovery Science Center. You can really see the smoke's brown/gray darkness that was taking over Orange County. Where we were standing was still bright and sunny with the small of fire in the air.I meet up with Kristen the evening for dessert. She lives about 4 miles from the fire and can see it from her backyard. She is still fine, but has a lot of friends that have been evacuated. We didn't get to visit for too long, but I had a lot of fun with her.
This morning when we got up, I walked outside and the smell of fire hung in the air. There is also a blanket of ash on the ground. I'm guessing that the firefighters had a long night.
Back to the Discovery Science Center. There are lots of little science fair type exhibits. We had fun with anything that dealt with balls or microscopes. I had fun once we went outside to the dinosaur dig. There is a scavenger hunt game that you play with "magic wands" and all. One of the hardest games EVER. Once I the hang of it, I was bummed that I didn't have enough time to finish it.

Haley was in charge of the camera. Here are a couple of the good shots.
4 comments:
Yeah! I had fun too. Even though we didn't have a chance to talk about the book we read, I know we'll have chances in the future. We just had a dinosaur party for my 7. He'll love to see the dino exhibit. I think we'll wait for the smoke to clear first. As far as we know right now, all of our friends still have homes. Many are returning tonight, and the Diamond Bar crew took their evacuations today. Ca. is definitely crazy.
oops, just commented as my husband. km
Glad to hear you had fun with BALLS! lol It looked like a lot of fun Krissy. When are you going to come visit my dear.
You've probably never heard of me, but I've been following your blog for some time and I just love it. So, I've passed along the Uber Amazing Blog Award to you. Thanks for providing such great posts!
Post a Comment