Saturday, July 25, 2009

Knit Gifts

It was a pretty busy week last week. There were a lot of family events from birthdays to baby showers. In fact, it was so packed that Chiquita is still celebrating her birthday because there just wasn't enough time last weekend to fit it all in. With all this celebrating, there have also been a lot of gifts received. Some of them knit related. So, I'm sharing the great talents of those that I have in my life.

First on the bill is actually from the BattleStar Galactica game. I won two prizes. One for completing all the Ready Rooms in the first round, which is not going to happen this month. The second is for being an outstanding player. Did I mention I got a promotion, too? I'm a Captain of one of the Ready Rooms. Both prizes are stitchmarkers handmade by Admiral IYN and my Commander, Kesten. I love these and have already put them to use on a project. Next are gifts for Chicklet. We had our baby shower last weekend and it was very fun. All the games were good and the guest were wonderful.

I received this gorgeous knit dress with matching hat from Liz. The detail in this is absolutely amazing. I could take pictures of it all afternoon, but since it's not my handy work, I won't. All I know it that I think Chicklet will be coming home from the hospital in this. Then there will be an entire afternoon of picture taking. Liz also gave me pink Converse Booties. Chicklet's baby buddy Zuul also has a pair in blue. I can picture the two of them cruising in their strollers to the park with their matching booties. All the other babies will be jealous. Chicklet is betrothed to Zuul for one obligatory high school dance. Chiquita also has a pre-selected "prom date." Hey, I could betroth them to marriage and if they want to pick the Freshman Year Winter Ball, that is fine with me. They just have to go to one school dance together.

Senora Fuerte knit me a beautiful Feather and Fan Blanket. (She's Zuul's mom, too). I love the feather and fan detail. It matches the bassinet perfectly, but I think it'll get taken around town with us, to show off if for nothing else. Oh, yeah. And to keep the baby warm. Finally is a Bunny Rattle from my sister. I love that she uses blush on the cheeks of her toys that she crochets. It gives it that little extra touch. This is a good pattern, too. Easy areas for little baby hands to grab onto. Next on the line is my birthday present. And yes, some of you family members should feel guilty for not calling me on my birthday and still forgetting to wish me a happy birthday even though I've talked to you on the phone since. You know who you are.

Anywho. Chiquita and DH went to my favorite yarn shop and picked up some of my favorite yarn for me. Malabrigo..mmm yummy. Chiquita picked out green (Lettuce) because green is my favorite color. Every year I get a green colored present from her. She also picked out a red (Ravelry Red) color to go with it. Then declared that I should make something for Santa Claus. Shhh. Don't tell her, but I'm not going to do that. Lastly aren't really gifts considering that I paid for them. But they colorways were picked out by someone else. My Dad was traveling on the East Coast this summer and I gave him some cash to pick up some sock yarn for me.

Both of these are from a shop in Charleston, SC. I believe both of these are dyed by the LYS owner, at least that is what my Dad said. The first is based on the colors of the Charleston Harbor. I unrolled it to show off the colors a little better. If you use Google Maps in the satellite view, the colors match the harbor. The second is called The Low Country. That's the nickname for South Carolina, opposed to North Carolina. This yarn is from a sock club. But apparently the shop girl thought my Dad would be a perfect dating match for the LYS owner and sold him this yarn to smooze him. Yeah, I was a little funny to get a phone call that afternoon asking if my Dad was single. (They had my number because I had called ahead to check their hours, location, etc.).

All that said, I am the only non-club owner of these lovely little wee skeins. I've never knit socks with wee skeins and all I can think of is eight ends per sock to sew in. It should be fun though. Phew, that's a lot of knit stuff to show off.

3 comments:

Sara and AJ said...

that was alot of knit stuff to show off, and oh by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) You have some amazing friends that can do amazing things with yarn!! ok your all my idols now!! someday I will be that amazing, maybe :)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

The baby shower gifts are amazing the dress such details and you have to love the converse I want to knit a pair is there a pattern? love the bassinet blanket just gorgeous and the baby bunny makes me wish I could crochet one:)Hugs Darcy

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I hope your Birthday was everything you hoped for:)Hugs Darcy