Friday, April 11, 2008

Huckleberry Ascot


I've finished all of my Huckleberry Ascot but the ruffle last night. I had to stop here because my perfectionist self isn't happy. I love the look of the material and the the striping goes vertical because it is knit along the length. It'll look cool when the ruffle is added in the opposite direction. The thing that stopped me was that I don't like the way it wears. The malabrigo is far to stiff. There is no drape at all and I think that it came out a little short. Makes it harder when I tie it around my neck. My brain just wanted to rip the whole thing out. Knit it longer and thinner and work the bobbles as I go. But I decided to sleep on it for a weekend or twenty.

This morning was more optimistic. I tried it on again using the bathroom mirror. I've decided that I am going to add the ruffle anyways. Then I am going to try to stretch the length by blocking. I think that this will work if I just use a mirror when put it on and then leave it. The material is stiff enough that it is not going to move. Anything to not have to reknit it, but I want to make sure that I will use it. Otherwise, what's the point in knitting it, right? Sometimes it is nice knowing that I have a mini-me that I can pass just too small stuff to.

On second thought, I wonder if all of this could of been avoided if I gauged first. Let me check.

dum dum dee dumm lalalala (elevator music)

hmmm my gauge is a little bit too small. bummer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to see it after you block it and add the ruffle.

km said...

Mine was a bit short...or so I thought...but it's the perfect length with my wool coat. The Nashua I used did have a good drape though. I love the variegation in your colorway.

Senora Fuerte said...

Oh man, you know you want to frog that scarf sooooo bad, don't you!!

Thanks for taking a weekend to think about it. I have nothing at stake here, but I've seen enough almost-perfectly-good projects become curly piles of yarn... Of course, if it's wrong, then it's wrong and I won't tease. I promise. :)